Health and Physical Education is a compulsory subject at Years 7-10 at Lalor Secondary College, where students undertake one theory and two practical classes a week. The school understands the importance of physical activity and the need to remain active throughout life in order to meet the National Physical Activity Guidelines.
The school also offers Physical Education and Health and Human Development as an elective subject in VCE; these two subjects have been proven to be very popular in previous years within the school.
Throughout Years 7 – 10, students learn about various age appropriate health topics. These lessons also cover health concerns students may face in later years. We ensure that the information can assist students during adolescence. Topics covered include:
- How My Body Works (Skeletal System, Muscular System, Cardiovascular System)
- Male & Female Reproductive System
- Active Lifestyles
- Body Image
- Bullying & Cyber Bullying
- Sun Smart
- First Aid
- Exercise (Benefits & Consequences)
- Health resources in the community Discrimination & Harassment
- Lifestyle diseases
- Ethics & Decision Making Risk Taking
- Drugs & Marijuana Grief & Loss
- Body Image
- Sexual Decision Making (contraception and STIs) Fitness & Training Biomechanics
- Analysing Nutrition
Year 10 Concepts in Health and Physical Education
This subject aims to prepare students for the topics covered in VCE Health and Human Development and Physical Education
- Importance of physical activity
- Healthy Communities
- Mental health issues
- Youth Health issues Dimensions of Health and Wellbeing
- Energy systems
- Drugs in Sport
- Cardiovascular System
- Musculoskeletal system
Year 10 HPE Practical Electives
The Year 10 practical curriculum includes elective based practical classes in order to increase participation. This allows students to have a greater say in what activities they would like to partake in. Students participate in two electives in the course of the year, running for one semester each. All students undertake the same theory course for the length of the year.
The electives offered include:
- Sport and Recreation – Sport and Recreation explores different sport and recreational pursuits in the local community
- Bike Education Bike – Education explores a vast array of bike awareness and traffic safety.
- Lifestyle and fitness – Lifestyle and Fitness focuses on motivating students to increase physical activity and nutritional levels through fitness based activities.
- Boys Team sports- The Boys Team Sports elective is specifically designed to motivate male students to increase their physical activity and their knowledge of game tactics and strategies.
- Girls Team sports – The Girls Team Sports elective is specifically designed to motivate female students to increase their physical activity and their knowledge of game tactics and strategies.
- Mixed Team sports – The Mixed Team Sports elective is designed to increase students’ physical activity levels in a co-educational environment. Students participate in a range of sports across the semester to improve their knowledge of game tactics and strategies.
- Strength and Conditioning – Strength and Conditioning is designed to introduce students to weight training principles and exercises as well as incorporating activities designed to improve their overall health and wellbeing.
Physical Education, Health and Human Development are popular choices at the VCE level. These subjects are covered in four periods throughout each week. At VCE the subjects are is delivered in four Units of study per subject. Excursions and incursions and a range of assessments further engage student learning throughout the course.
Facilities at Lalor:
- Gymnasium – Indoor area where soccer games, volleyball, badminton, table tennis and netball matches are played.
Football Oval – Full size oval on which students take part in football, cricket and athletics.
- Soccer Pitch – Eleven-a-side grass pitch with full size goals.
- Tennis Courts – One of the newer areas to the school grounds. Holds 6 courts, but can also be used for hockey and soccer matches.
- Synthetic Soccer Pitch – New playing area which is used a lot due to its capacity to be used in all weather conditions.
- Protected Courts – This area houses 2 basketball/netball courts, useable throughout the day.